Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Incomprehensible Suspect

Front pages, like the one staring back at me today, bruises my faith in humanity. Bruised, but not broken.


The Base Commander of CFB Trenton is accused of murdering two women, and assaulting others.


I do not know the victims. I do not know the alleged perpetrator of the crimes. What I do know is that when an unthinkable event like this occurs, in a sleepy, country town like Tweed, ON, you can’t help but step back and contemplate the blind faith we put in strangers. More specifically in this case, I examine the faith we have in the men and women whom one would only assume are above such illogical, inhumane behaviour.


I live in a neighbouring military city. Our Base Commander is among the most visible, most respected leaders in our community. The Base Commander’s influence and presence is not confined to the boundaries of the base. He leads charitable campaigns, attends civic ceremonies and welcomes potential new businesses to the neighbourhood. The leadership and dignity that is attached to that position is earned and justified.


I can only imagine the emptiness that must be permeating at CFB Trenton and in the surrounding area, when the news was revealed at the police briefing. Did he say Colonel? The Base Commander? It just didn’t register. It still doesn’t seem real.


I cannot fathom the terrible anguish and rage that must come with the discovery of a loved one’s alleged murderer. Further discovery that this person is someone that should be held to a much higher standard of accountability and integrity than the average citizen, causes mouths to drop even lower.


I’m an optimist. I want to believe that people are inherently kind and law-abiding. I am not, however, naive to think that there are occasions when a lone wolf will break from the pack. However, if what we are learning is true, in this case, I just grew a whole lot more protective of the people I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment